As the popularity of ketogenic diet continues to go high, many people have begun to identify various health benefits of the keto diet. Depending on your activity level and goals, you can try different types of ketogenic diets available to get the best output. It is very important to choose the diet that suits your needs, as all the types are good for a specific lifestyle. There is surprisingly more than one type of diets.
Types of keto diet
- Standard ketogenic diet (SKD) – it is the most common type and best version of the ketogenic diet to start losing your weight. It is a diet rich in low carb and moderate protein and high fat.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD) – this diet is similar to the irregular fasting including up and down days. The consumption of high carbs on alternate days is called carb loading. This diet is ideal for bodybuilders and athletes which helps to lose fat and maximizes their energy. The aim of CKD is to decrease muscle glycogen completely between carb loads.
- Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD) – this diet is best for the people who know their bodies and what pushes them out of ketosis. As its name, it mainly targets eating directly after or before workout times.
- High protein ketogenic diet (HPKD) – this diet is somehow similar to the SKD. It helps to reduce blood sugar and kicks you out of ketosis.
Benefits of keto diet
- Weight loss – the main benefit of this diet is weight loss that people generally look for. It takes a lot of activities to turn fat into energy and ketogenic diet helps to lose weight speedily. This diet is rich in protein so you don’t feel hungry.
- Reduced risk of cancer – it is a great diet that helps to prevent and treat cancer. The ketogenic diet is a complementary treatment for chemotherapy and causes stress in cancerous cells more than the normal cells. Many theories suggest that ketogenic diet decreases the high blood pressure and insulin complications which are associated with the disease of cancer.
- Appetite control – people that are on a keto diet are able to do irregular fasting as they only have specific food at certain intervals during the day. It will help you to find no more cravings and also you will not feel as hungry as before.
- Reduces acne – acne is caused due to a different number of reasons. One reason is related to blood sugar and diet. Eating a diet that is rich in carbohydrates can change bacteria and cause more fluctuations in the blood sugar, both of which can affect your skin and health. Therefore, following keto can reduce the cases of acne.
- Improves heart health – when you follow the diet in a healthy manner, you will see an improvement in your heart health as cholesterol level is reduced. It increases the level of good cholesterol.
- Better focus – it makes your brain to stay focused for a longer period. Ketones help your brain to have more consistency which you will see in doing any work.